In The Beatles for Guitar: A Songwriting Study, you will examine Beatles songs from their early, middle, and late periods, learn to play them on guitar, understand the theory behind their construction, and (if you choose) learn to apply those concepts to your own songs. Teacher Bill LaFleur is uniquely qualified to teach this class. Not only is he a patient, enthusiastic teacher who has headed our Guitar for Songwriters classes. He is transcribing Magical Mystery Tour for Hal Leonard Publishing for 2011 publication. Thus the class will make use of his own painstaking analysis and presentation of Beatles classics.
This class will meet for 6 weeks, Thursday nights, 7:30-9:30pm. In each six-week installment the class will trace the arc of the Beatles' evolution as songwriters through the three periods. Every six-week installment will involve different songs each time. .
Tuition = $249 (12 course hours)
Enroll with a friend and qualify for the "band discount": each additional registrant takes $99 off the tuition. Select "call in payment" to arrange this discount and call 818-848-7664 after you register.
Students who took this class in 2010 may enroll in any subsequent 6-wk installment for only $99. To qualify for your returning student discount, please enter the discount code RETURNINGBEATLE in the provided space.
Students who take the class for the first time in 2011 or 2012 may enroll in subsequent sections for $149.
This class is for me if...
- I am a Beatles fan and I play guitar.
- I am a songwriter stuck in the 4-chord rut and in need of powerful ways out.
- I am a songwriter and I need inspiration.
- I want to work with a gifted teacher at his true passion.
- I am in need of inspiration, and I want to get some from the source.
- I want to expand my knowledge of music theory, but I don't want to study theory academically. I need these applied settings where I can see theory put to use in great songs.
- I have loved the Beatles for years and have never understood how they came up with some of the amazing chord changes in their songs. I want to know.
- I learn best by apprenticing myself to the masters.
Eligibility: You should be able to change chords in time and have some basic understanding of music theory as it applies to harmony (chords). If you do not, we suggest building your guitar chops in Guitar for Songwiters, Levels 1 and 2 before you join this class.
If you have dexterity on the instrument but don't have the theory background to get the most out of this class, the same remarkable instructor teaches THE COMPLETE GUITARIST, a class designed to give people with the chops the understanding to connect the dots to theoretical principles.
The Guitar of the Beatles will be offered year-round.